Family History of the
Boulter | Larson | Shook | Webster ...
family lines
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
Ethel Isabella Bird

Ethel Isabella Bird

Female 1903 - 1990  (86 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name Ethel Isabella Bird  [1
    Born 5 Jul 1903  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Female 
    Died 24 Feb 1990  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Buried 28 Feb 1990  Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I171283  Full Tree
    Last Modified 26 Jun 2014 

    Husband Harold John Kirby
              b. 5 Aug 1902, Hyde Park, Cache, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 27 Nov 1995, Bountiful, Davis, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 93 years) 
    Married 18 Oct 1929  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    +1. Living
    +2. Living
    Last Modified 26 Jun 2014 
    Family ID F65453  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 5 Jul 1903 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 18 Oct 1929 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 24 Feb 1990 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 28 Feb 1990 - Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend Location Cemetery Hospital Town Parish City County/Shire State/Province Country Region Not Set

  • Notes 
    • Ethel fell and broke her hip.  She never recovered.

      Ethel Isabella Kirby
      by her own hand

      I, Ethel Isabella Bird, the only daughter of James Albert Bird and Isabella Singleton was born 5 July, 1903, at Salt Lake City, Utah.  I was blessed in the Fifth Ward of the Pioneer Stake, Sunday, August 2, 1903 by Nephi L. Morris.  At the age of six years I started to the Jefferson School, and attended this same school until I graduated on June 17, 1917 from the eighth grade.  I went to the West High School for one year, and then attended the Latter Day Saints Business College, graduating from that institution in 1919.

      At the age of eight years I was baptized in the Salt Lake Tabernacle (July 29, 1911) by Elder Thomas G. Lambert, and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, July 30, 1911 by Elder W. J. Wimmer.  I was sustained as organist of the Fifth Ward during the month of May, 1920, and released September 22, 1925.  I worked as Sunday School teacher for five years and in the Mutual Improvement Association for two years, being called to the Pioneer Stake Board of the Y.L.M.I.A., Sep 25, 1925.  I was Chorister of the Sunday School for two years.

      In July of 1923 I spent my vacation in California, visiting with my Aunt and Uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Singleton and family in San Francisco, and my cousins, Lilian and Gladys Allen in Los Angeles and Pasadena.  This was a very enjoyable trip and many places of interest were visited.

      I received my Patriarchal blessing from Presiding Patriarch Hyrum G. Smith, September 22, 1925, at Salt Lake City, Utah and went through the Salt Lake Temple for my own endowments, September 24, 1925.

      In March 1925, I started to work for the Genealogical Society of Utah, with headquarters in the Church Office Building.  While working with the Society, I had the privilege of attending genealogical conventions in many stakes, under the leadership of Elder Richard B. Summerhays.  On Sep. 10, 1927, Miss Nell Sumsion, Miss Julina Smith, and myself took an extended trip through the east, visiting libraries and having the opportunity of visiting the Northern States, Eastern States, Central States and Canadian Missions, being at the Hill Cumorah for the 100th Celebration (Sep. 22,1927) of the finding of the plates by the Prophet Joseph Smith one hundred years previous. 

      On January 30, 1929 I was invited to spend the evening at Mrs. Estella M. Burt's home, one of the employees of the Genealogical Library.  This very same evening, George D. Kirby came there, bringing with him a friend, Harold J. Kirby of Hyde Park, Utah, who had come to Salt Lake to attend Henager's Business College.  The evening was spent in attending a social given by the Cottonwood Stake Genealogical Committee in the East Midvale Ward.  Of course as the evening drew to a close, it was time to go home, and friend Harold very kindly consented to escort me to my home.  This was the beginning of the end.   We went together off and on during February, March and April, but the latter part of April we started going a little bit more steady.

      During the latter part of May, the graduation of the 1929 class at the Agricultural College at Logan, Utah was to be held, of which Harold was a member.  This of course necessitated him going to Logan to receive his B.S. Degree.  He invited me to go with him, and this was my first trip to his home in Hyde Park.  I was treated very kindly by his family, but little did I realize at that time that before many months I would be counted as one of the family.  From then on we spent many enjoyable evenings together, and made many trips to Hyde Park during the summer months.  On one of our trips there, which was on my 26th birthday (July 5, 1929) we took a trip over to Bear Lake taking with us his Mother and sister Hazel.  All the trips were made by car.

      There is always one outstanding event in a young girl's courtship, and that is when the young man she loves asks her to be his wife.  It was on June 16, 1929 that Harold asked me to be his wife. 

      Plans were made to spend our summer vacation together, and take a trip to Southern Utah, visiting Zion's National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon of  the Colorado, taking with us my mother, father and niece Vera Bird.  About two weeks before we were to leave Harold was offered a position in Salt Lake City, and accepted it.  This of course spoiled the trip for him, as he could not leave his work at this time.  The trip was made without him however, and on the morning of July 20, 1929 we left Salt Lake City for the south.  Those making the trip were: Father, Mother, Vera, Mary Peterson and myself.  Mary's folks also made the trip with us in their car.  The two cars kept together all during the trip, and the most beautiful scenery was enjoyed during the week's journey.  This was the folk's first trip to Southern Utah, although it was my third, but everything proved very interesting although I had been over the ground on previous occasions.

      During the early part of September, we decided to be married in October, and then plans had to be completed for our wedding.  My brother Bert had always said I could have my wedding at his new home in Holladay, but at this time it was not yet completed, but as soon as they found out that we were planning our wedding for October, this began to stir.  The days between then and our wedding day was filled with the hum of hammers, paper hangers - oh so slow; and the painters, electricians, mantle-men, the laying of the hard wood floors, etc.  Everything was done to have the home all finished for this eventful night in the lives of two young people.

      Friends asked to give me showers and I was the guest of honor at three, at which I received many beautiful presents so useful in our new home.  Many fond memories linger of the friends who were present on those different occasions.  On Sunday before our wedding day, which was October 13th, we had the bridal picture taken.  Verda (Harold's sister) came from Hyde Park, and Julina Smith came up from Provo, so that the picture could be taken that day.   My, how thrilling those days were when I was having my wedding dress made, and buying the things I was to wear for my reception. 

      I had my bridal party planned weeks ahead:  Ruth Bird was to be my attending matron; Esther Geis my matron of honor; Julina Smith and Verda Kirby my bridesmaids, and the girls all had their dresses made out of taffeta, and they all looked so wonderful with their bouquets to match their dresses.

      On Wednesday evening, October 16, 1929, Harold went through the temple for his own endowments, and I also went through the temple  with him that night.

      Thursday, October 17th was another eventful day in our lives, as there was the ring to be purchased, and the marriage license to be obtained from the City and County Building.  We were on hand right at 9 o'clock at the City and County Building, and being bashful, as most brides and grooms are, waited out in the car for awhile, so that we would not be in the office before Mr. Graham, the man who issued the marriage licenses, had time to open his desk. However, we were much relieved when this task was over.  Our next job was to purchase the ring, which did not take us very long, and then Harold went back to work, his last day at work in single blessedness.  After leaving Harold, I went out to Berts and helped arrange the flowers and different things for the wedding, and spent most of the whole day out there.  At 6 o'clock in the evening Harold's father and mother arrived, and I met them at the depot and took them down home with me.

      Friday, October 18, 1929 - "The Day of Days".  I got up early Friday morning as I had an appointment for a marcel at 7 o'clock.  While I had gone to get my hair fixed, I left all the folks having breakfast, and returned home about 8 o'clock.  We were to be at the Temple at 8:30, so we had to hurry.  Esther came with her car and took some of the folks to the temple with her.  After arriving at the temple and filling out the necessary papers, we attended the meeting, which was very inspirational.  The following were there to witness our marriage: My father and mother; Harold's father and mother; Ruth Bird, Esther Geis, Nell Sumsion and George D. Kirby.  As soon after the meeting as we could get dressed, we went to the sealing room and were there married and sealed for time and eternity by Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, one of the Apostles of the Church.  My father and Harold's father acted as our witnesses.  We were married at just 10 o'clock.

      Following our marriage we returned to my home, where mother had a lovely wedding breakfast for us all.  During the afternoon we drove out to Berts taking with us a lot of wedding presents that had been delivered at my home.  When we arrived back home all of Harold's brothers and sisters had arrived.

      Our next excitement was getting dressed for the reception.  My how we had to hurry.  I left Harold at our apartment with W. Parry Hyde, the best man, as they were going to come out to Holladay in Parry's car.  I took a car load of girls out with me.  I got all dressed by about 7:40 and could find no husband.  Believe me those minutes seemed like years, as our reception was to be from 8 until 11 o'clock, but about 10 minutes to 8, in walks friend husband and the best man, not very much concerned about their lateness.

      Bert's home looked beautiful, with all the floral decorations.  Details of the wedding are given in the printed account taken from the Tribune and Deseret News Papers of Saturday and Sunday following our marriage, at which time the bridal picture was also printed.  We received many wonderful gifts, and my wedding reception was my dream of youth come true.

      After spending a most enjoyable evening receiving congratulations from many of our friends, we slipped quietly away in a car loaned to us by Nell Sumsion.  I went back home to leave my dress and veil, and then we left for our own apartment (64 "E" Street) for the beginning of life's journey together.

      My Family History
      by Ethel Isabella Bird Kirby

      1. Stoughton Willmott, (my great-great grandfather) was born in 1767, married at Litlington, Cambridgeshire, England 23 Oct, 1797 to Mariah King, his second wife, who was born in 1774.  He was buried 2 October, 1842 at the age of 75 years, and his wife Mariah was buried 24 Feb. 1847, age 73 years.  Both were buried at Litlington.  Their children follow:
      1. Mariah Willmott who married Joseph Pateman.
      2. Roger Stoughton Willmott who married Edith Scott
      3. Simeon Willmott who married Elizabeth Hammond
      4. Susan Willmott
      5. Jane Willmott
      6. Hannah Willmott

      2. Simeon Willmott was baptized 17 Jul 1803, Litlington, Cambs., England, son of Stoughton Willmott and Mariah King.  He married Elizabeth Hammond, born 1802, of Steeple Morden, Cambridgeshire, England.  He was buried 20 March, 1869 at the age of 65 years.  His wife Elizabeth Hammond Willmott, was buried 28 April, 1875, at the age of 73 years.  Both were buried at Litlington..  Their children follow:
      1. Emma Willmott who married Robert Ingery
      2. Jane Willmott who married Samuel Bird
      3. Mary Willmott who married John Bird  She died 5 Nov. 1898
      4. Stephen
      5. Simeon
      6. William
      7. Hannah
      8. Stoughton who married Hannah Randall
      9. James who married Elizabeth Sell
      10. Mary
      11. Ann Willmott who married John Munsey

      3. William Bird, married 13 May, 1817, at Bassingbourne, Cambs.,England to Elizabeth Rich.  Search has been made in the records of the Parish at Bassingbourne, but nothing further has been found concerning William and Elizabeth, and we presume they moved into Bassingbourne with their parents from other parts.  Their children follow:
      1. William Bird
      2. Stephen Bird
      3. Emma Bird who married Peter Harradine
      4. Samuel Bird who married Jane Willmott
      5. John Bird  who married Mary Willmott
      6. William Bird
      7. William Bird
      8. Simeon Bird who married Emma Stamford

      4. John Bird was born 15 April, 1828 at Bassingbourne, Cambs., England, son of William Bird and Elizabeth Rich.  He married, 25 Dec. 1848 to Mary Willmott, born 8 March, 1828 Litlington, Cambs., England, daughter of Simeon Willmott and Elizabeth Hammond.  He died 3 July 1890 and was buried at Bassingbourne.  She died 5 November, 1898 at Greenwich, Middlesex, and was buried in Shooter's Hill Cemetery in Greenwich.  John and Mary belonged to the Congregational Church.

      John Bird was a shepherd, and lived in Bassingbourne for forty years.  He later moved with his family to Wendy Fields.  He was employed as game keeper for William Russell of that village.  Wendy Fields, the family home, was situated near the village of Bassingbourne, Cambridgeshire.  The village consisted of a group of homes with some shops or stores.  A blacksmith shop, a shoe shop, three Churches: Methodist, Congregational and Church of England, and a cemetery.  John and Mary were the parents of eleven children.  Their records follow:
      1. William Ellis Bird who married Elizabeth Gray
      2. Lydia Bird who married Louis A. C. Waldcock
      3. Charles Bird who married Sarah Ann Bird
      4. Frederick Stephen Bird who married Rebecca Ingery
      5. Keziah Bird who married Alfred T. Warboys
      6. John Wilford Bird who married Julia Chapman
      7. James Albert Bird who married Isabella Singleton
      8. Mary Jane Bird
      9. Walter Bird
      10. Ada Annie Bird who married Arthur Starr
      11. Ernest Henry Bird who married Rose

      5. James Albert Bird,, was born 23 June, 1861, Bassingbourne, son of John Bird and Mary Willmott.  His early childhood was spent at the family home in Wendy Fields.  At that time the little boys wore dresses until they were about six years of age.  One day while the children were playing in front of the fire place, Keziah, his sister, pushed him too close to the flame and his dresses caught on fire, burning him severely on his right side from his elbow to his ear: the scars of which he has carried all his life.

      A few years later he broke his left leg and on account of it being kept in a cast for ten weeks, his instep set, so that he could not move his foot backward or forward.  This has caused him to limp all  his life.  

      At the age of nine years he went to work as stable-boy, where he earned six pence (12¢) per day.  He remained at this work for four years, at which time he was promoted to assistant gardener and coachman.  He was never compelled to attend day school, although the education he received was obtained from attending night school.  He was obliged to walk two miles each way after his days work.  He stayed at this work for four more years, when he left home for Tottenham, North London, where he worked in a brick yard.

      He worked at the brick yard for three years, leaving this place to work for the Great Western Railway of London.  During his boyhood he attended the Congregational Church.  He was about twenty-two years of age when he started to work for the Railway, and remained at this place for 12 years and 9 weeks.  We was paid 26 shillings a week, which would average about $7.00 per week in American money.

      6. Alfred Singleton was born 2 January, 1839 at Bethnal Green, London, England, son of Thomas William Singleton and Ann Boulter. Nothing is know of his early life, but he was a printer by trade and lived in London all his life.  On February 14, 1861, he married Elizabeth Dormer, born 18 August, 1844, at Hackney, London, England, daughter of Joseph Dormer, born 2 June, 1803 and Elizabeth Corrie, born 14 March, 1805, in London and died 1 March, 1877.  Alfred Singleton died 8 December 1909 and Elizabeth Dormer Singleton died 10 March 1880.  Nine children were born to this couple, all at Bethnal Green, London, England.  Their records follow:
      1. Mary Ann Singleton who married Samuel Rowson
      2. Elizabeth Ann Singleton who married Herbert Allen
      3. Isabella Singleton who married James Albert Bird.
      4. Emma Singleton
      5. Sophia Singleton who married William Chandler
      6. Alfred Singleton who married Margaret Richardson
      7. Joseph Fredrick Singleton married Elizabeth M.A. LeConte
      8. Henrietta Singleton
      9. Emily

      7. Isabella Singleton was born 18 July, 1865 at Bethnal Green, London, England, daughter of Alfred Singleton and Elizabeth Dormer.  The following account of her early life was written by herself:
      I was christened in St. Jude's Church, Bethnal Green, London, England.  My early childhood days were spent mostly in that vicinity. 
      We moved from that district when I was about 10 years old.  There was not the recreation for the young folks in those days as there is now; and we didn't have the lovely gifts on Christmas as the children of these days have, but I believe we were more pleased with our simple gifts, and we looked forward with great pleasure to the treat Mother would give us each year, which was taking us children to a Christmas Pantomime, which was put on at most of the theaters during Christmas week and was very beautiful.

      Schools were very different in those days.  I remember going to school which was run by an elderly couple, in the house they lived in, when I was 5 years old, and one thing stands out in my memory quite clear.  The old teacher got angry with his cat one day and hanged it by tying a rope around its neck and pulling it over the door.  (The door being nearly shut) until it was dead.  I never liked going there after that so Mother soon took my sister and I away from there.  Later on I went with my two older sisters to a school in connection with the Church of England.  We only went half day or as they called it - haft time, and before I was 12, I was sent out to work, so I didn't have any more schooling.  I worked in a shoe factory winding bobbins ready for the girls who sewed the uppers.  I worked there about one year then went to work right in the city of London in a factory where men's suspenders were made.  When I was 14 years old Mother wanted me to learn some trade, and I chose to be a collar and cuff ironer, because the work would be clean.  Mother thought it would be too hard for me, but I was determined to learn that so I went to a Laundry and worked three months without pay, then I was able to go to a better laundry where I worked until I was married.

      8. James Albert Bird and Isabella Singleton were married, Saturday, April 9,1887 at 9A.M. at St. Luke's, Church, Old Street, London, England.  After the ceremony they had a wedding breakfast after which they left for Wendy Fields, where they spent their honeymoon.  They resided in London after their marriage.  On Feb. 16, 1888, their first son was born.  He was named Albert James Bird, and christened at St. Luke's Church when he was a month old.  On December 8, 1892, their second son was born, and he was given the name of Ernest Alfred Bird.  He died 6 July, 1893.

      In the summer of 1893 my Mother and the two children went to stay a few weeks with Grandma Bird at Wendy.  While there the baby took ill very suddenly and died on 6 July, 1893.  He was buried the 10th of July at Wendy Church Yard, in Cambridgeshire.  At that time the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were tracting in that village.  these Elders were:  Samuel Wayment of Plain City, and Walter Howick of Mill Creek.  Upon returning to London, my parents looked up the London Headquarters, and the Elders there invited them to attend their service.  This they did and at the first service they attended, the local elder spoke on "Salvation for the Dead".  These remarks consoled my parents, as they had just buried their baby, and they became interested in the doctrine being preached by this Church and this was the means of bringing them into the Church.

      The following are Elders who were laboring at that time in London.  Henry M. Dinwoodey, Alonzo P. Kesler, Nephi L. Morris, Edwin Winder and Frank Thorne. 

      My mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in London, England, October 22, 1893, being baptized by Elder John D. Owen.  My father joined the Church six months later than my mother, on April 1, 1894.  He was baptized by Henry C. Overson of Arizona.

      On 5 Jun, 1894, their third son was born.  He was blessed by Elder Nephi L. Morris, and given the name of Victor Joseph Bird.

      The latter part of November, 1895, my Mother emigrated to this country, bringing with her two children, Albert James, 7 years old, and Victor Joseph 1½ years old.  She arrived in Ogden, Utah, December 8, 1895.  My father left England four months later arriving in Utah, April 1, 1896, or two years from the time he joined the Church.  Mother and the two children lived at Plain City, near Ogden, Utah, until the arrival of my father, when they moved to Salt Lake City to make their home.

      Work was very scarce in those days and my father was able to obtain work as a laborer, receiving the sum of $1.50 per day.  They rented a little house in the 15th ward, and Bert (Albert) started to school at the Fremont School.  Six weeks after the arrival of my father in Salt Lake City, their fourth son was born, 17 May, 1896.  He was blessed in the 15th Ward by Elder Nephi L. Morris and given the name of Edwin Singleton.

      In 1896 they received word from England that my father's mother (Mary Willmott) had died on November 5, 1898, in London and was buried in Greenwich, Middlesex, England.  On 31 May, 1898, their fifth son was born in Salt Lake City.  He was blessed in the 15th Ward by Elder Nephi L. Morris, and given the name of Stuart Singleton Bird.  His time on this earth however, was not long as he only lived until he was 10 months old.  He died 28 March, 1899, and is buried in the City Cemetery in Salt Lake City.

      On 6 May, 1900, their sixth son was born in Salt Lake City.  He was also blessed in the 15th Ward by Elder Nephi L Morris and given the name of Stanley William Bird.  On the 21 Nov. 1901, Father and Mother went through the Salt Lake Temple for their own endowments, and were sealed that same day.  (Their only daughter was born after this time).  The record of their children follows:
      1. Albert James Bird married Laura C. Bennett
      2. Ernest Alfred Bird
      3. Victor Joseph Bird who married Josephine Snarr
      4. Edwin Singleton Bird who married Clarissa H.N. Gold
      5. Stuart Singleton Bird
      6. Stanley William Bird who married Ruth N. Danielson
      7. Ethel Isabella Bird who married Harold J. Kirby

      My father drove a team for Elias Morris & Sons Co. for many years.  He worked for the American Foundry and Machine Co. for about 30 years.  He retired on his 75th birthday.

      In the year 1905, my parents built the home on  927 S. 4th West, moving in on 5 July.  They have resided there ever since.  This is in the Fifth Ward of the Pioneer Stake.  My parents have been a hard working couple, and have done all in their power to assist their children in getting their start in life.

      My father enjoyed good health during his life.  However, on Thanksgiving day, November 23, 1950 while having Thanksgiving dinner at his daughter's home he suffered a stroke.  He was in the hospital five months and passed away Sunday, April 15, 1951 at 3 PM at the Salt Lake General Hospital.  His funeral services were held in the Fifth Ward, April 18, 1951 and burial took place in the Salt Lake City Cemetery. [1]

  • Reference  Bryan S. Larson. "Ethel Isabella Bird". Our Family Histories. https://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/getperson.php?personID=I171283&tree=00 (accessed August 26, 2019).

  • Sources 
    1. [S2891] Personal knowledge of Marla Kirby, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE]\..

  • Visitor


    No comments yet.

    Add Comment