Family History of the
Boulter | Larson | Shook | Webster ...
family lines
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
Geneva Black

Geneva Black[1, 2]

Female 1906 - 1998  (91 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name Geneva Black  [3
    Born 8 Oct 1906  Pacheco, Galeana, Chihuahua, México Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 4
    Gender Female 
    Died 11 May 1998  Orem, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 5, 6
    Buried 16 May 1998  Provo City Cemetery, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Robert and Geneva Black Steele grave marker
    Person ID I227912  Full Tree | Boulter, Palmer, Timmins, Frint
    Last Modified 29 Mar 2016 

    Father David Patten Black
              b. 10 Feb 1874, Orderville, Kane, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 20 Oct 1958, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Mother Theda Kartchner
              b. 29 Apr 1875, Panguitch, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 12 Mar 1962, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years) 
    Married 10 Dec 1892  Pacheco, Galeana, Chihuahua, México Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 8
    65th Wedding Anniversary
    Family ID F87924  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Husband Robert Steele
              b. 22 Feb 1905, Eureka, Juab, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 27 Aug 1969, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Married 10 Feb 1927  Tierra Amarilla, Rio Arriba, New Mexico, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 6, 9
    +1. Living
     2. Murry Frost Steele
              b. 19 Apr 1929, Orem, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 1 Sep 1943, Orem, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 14 years)
    +3. Living
     4. Living
    +5. Living
     6. Steele
              b. 12 Aug 1943, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 12 Aug 1943, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
    Last Modified 26 Jun 2014 
    Family ID F87919  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 8 Oct 1906 - Pacheco, Galeana, Chihuahua, México Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 10 Feb 1927 - Tierra Amarilla, Rio Arriba, New Mexico, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChild - Murry Frost Steele - 19 Apr 1929 - Orem, Utah, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChild - Steele - 12 Aug 1943 - Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 11 May 1998 - Orem, Utah, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 16 May 1998 - Provo City Cemetery, Provo, Utah, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend Location Cemetery Hospital Town Parish City County/Shire State/Province Country Region Not Set

  • Photos
    Geneva Black

  • Notes 
    • From a tribute book made about David P. Black and his family by his children in 1978:
      by GenaVee Steele Broderick her daughter
           "On October 8, 1906, in Colonia Pacheco, Chihuahua, Old Mexico, Geneva was bron into the home of David Pattena dn Theda Kartchner Black.  She was the sixth child and the 4th girl in a family of ten children.  A Sister Moffit who acted as a mid-wife in the Colony attended the birth and cared for the mother.  Geneva was said to weigh 13 1/2 pounds but her mother was always embarrased to say so because people wouldn't believe her.
           Her mother dampened her hair and wrapped it around her finger into a little ringlet which stayed in all day and always looked so pretty.  Her early childhood days were spent in Old Mexico until the colonists were driven out by the rebels in 1912.  She can well remember when they were loaded into wagons with what possessions they could hurriedly get together.  It was a heart breaking experience to have to leave their material wealth which had taken hard years of labor to accumulate.  Also it was very hard to leave because the little cemetery held the graves of many loved ones.  Mom had had a little baby brother, Kenneth who died with the hives when he was two years old. 
           When people have to flee for their lives they have to make the best of the situation and these people were only given a few hours warning to be ready to leave at an appointed hour.  Men and women worked far into the night to gather together the bare necessities to sustain them in their flight, hoping that they would be able to return to their homes when the Mexican civil war was settled.  Women and children were put into the wagons and the exodus began. 
           Just a ways outside of town they were stopped by the rebels who demanded their guns and ammunition.  As a child of 5-1/2 all of this was a very terrorizing experience They went on to Pearson and got on the train cars and were sent into El Paso, Texas, in the United States.  Here they were refugees under the care of the United States government; that same government that had forced the majority of these same people into Mexico by not allowing them to practice their religious beliefs as they chose and had been directed to do.
            A large lumber shed was set up to temporarily house the people and food was given out plentifully.  Mom remembers so well the bottled milk that was delivered in cases with ice covering it.  She had never seen milk in a bottle before.  It was so cold and really tasted good.  One day her mother went into town to do some shopping.  All the children were anxiously awaiting her return.  Mom could see her mother coming way down the road and she still remembers and can see her in her mind the hat and the long dress her mother was wearing, but especially she remembers the strange shopping bag that was stuffed full and bulging over.  They all ran barefoot as fast as they could go to meet her.  When they reached her, out came a big sack of candy jelly beans.  That was the first time any of them had ever seen jelly beans.  Their eyes about popped out, so many beautiful colors.  It was surely the wonder of the world!  Mother must have been right to fairyland to find such things as these. 
           It seemed there were so many strange and interesting things happening that the children had almost forgotten the circumstances that had put them here.  They might as well make the best of the situation so the mother was going to let them see all they possibly could of a big city and the activities carried on within.  They were now going to go to the circus.  It was a great sacrifice and quite a struggle but they finally managed to get to the circus.  They had barely got there and settled when Mom got a terrific toothache.  She cried and fussed and laid across her mother's lap but still tried so hard to watch and not to cry but it hurt so badly that she didn't enjoy the circus much and neither did anyone else.
               A sister, Mae, and her husband Dave Breinholt lived in El Paso at the time so they visited with them quite a bit.  One day while they were in town they were window shopping and they stopped in front of a shop window.  This was another new sight and they were really enthralled looking at the beautiful nightgowns, slips, jewelry and other department store items.  Mom got so intrigued with the things she saw that she went right around the corner with her nose pressed against the glass all the say.  When she finally looked up she was turned around and became lost.  It turned into a very serious affair before she was found and returned into the arms of her frantic mother. 
           She wandered around crying for about three hours and a lady came by and asked her what she was crying for.  The lady took her to her home and called the police.  Mom wasn't much help in telling hem where she lived because she was a stranger in a very strange place.  The policeman rode a horse and tried to get Mom to get on with him and he would take her down to the station to see what they could do.  But she had always been taught not to speak to strangers and also she was a very stubborn girl and so she wouldn't get on.  So he got on the horse and Mom trotted along side.  He kept asking questions trying to find some clue to help return her to her home.  As she was going along she spotted her brother, Dave, who was out looking for her.  She told the policeman that there was her brother and she started to run over to him calling.  The policeman asked her if she was sure that was her brother and that she had better stay with him until she found out.  It really made Mom mad to think the policeman didn't think she even knew her own brother.  It all turned out alright and it was a happy little child that went home with her brother that night.
           When they got home she remembers her mother was sitting in a chair crying and she had her hat on and had just come in from looking for her.  After everything had calmed down her brother-in-law, Dave Breinholt, gave her a nickel and told her to go back down town and buy herself an ice cream cone.  He was just teasing her and thought she surely had had enough of the city for that day anyway, but she readily took him up on it - an ice cream cone in those days was worth the risk of getting lost again.  Mom said she always had a temper and was hot headed and stubborn which caused her lots of troubles and embarrassment.
           After a very eventful and exciting stay in El Paso, Texas, they again boarded the train and for some reason that Mom can't remember they went around by California.  Here they stopped to visit some relatives who had an orange grove and the oranges were ripe.  They were allowed to help themselves and so they really had a feast because an orange was something else they had never seen many of.  They rested a day or so and again got on the train and went into Salt Lake City, where her parents went into the temple with their family to be sealed together.  An Apostle had come into the Colony in Old Mexico and married them but when they came to the temple they had their sealings done.  Mom can remember being dressed in white clothes and going to the temple.  While in the temple her father acted as a proxy for a man whose wife was having his work done and being sealed to him.  After the ceremony Grandpa leaned over the altar and kissed this lady and Mom was so surprised and upset.  She couldn't figure out why he was kissing a strange woman.
           Their destination was now Huntington, Utah.  They stopped a few days along the way to visit relatives etc. Their first home in the United States was Huntington, Utah.  The first thing Grandpa did when he reached Huntington was to find the Bishop and pay him $25.00 tithing he owed, it was the last cent he had.  Work was hard to find and things were not easy but because of his faithfulness he obtained work and the necessary means to support his family.  Mom didn't go to school that year and she can't remember why, but probably because she was sick.  Much of her life has been spent with sickness.  She has had many hard troubles to go through but she has leaned how to be tough and take it without complaining.  I guess that is why she is so understanding about others aches and pains and can offer soothing comfort.
           In Huntington, was a little one room store that had nothing in but candy.  A nickel's worth of candy was a big sack full in those days.  That nickel's worth was hard to get but when they couldn't have candy, they got "full" just looking through the window.  People usually "Charged" at the store for their supplies and necessities that had to be purchased.  When the bill was paid and settlement made the store usually gave a big sack of candy for the children and a new hat for the man or some other bonus item.
           Mom had the chicken pox and had an ear trouble set in which left her deaf for several days.  The other children teased her because they though she was 'putting on'.  It cleared up and she was fine afterwards.
           A new area in southeastern Utah was beginning to open up so from Huntington they traveled again by wagons into Grayson, Utah.  It was a long, slow, hot journey.  They walked much of the way and were always very tired and hungry at night.  Mom wonders what they ever fixed to feed such a bunch.  The name of Grayson was later changed to Blanding.  This is the town where Mom grew up and the place she remembers best.  When she was about 10 years old she won a wrist watch on a punch board.  Everyone wanted it and made her think she was much too little to wear a real watch so she finally gave in and let her older sister, Thora, have it.
           She started school and went up until the 8th grade.  Her father was a road constructor and he needed a girl to cook for the many men in the different road camps he maintained.  She worked hard cooking in a tent over a little camp stove for as high as 26 men at a time.  Sometimes she would have help but most of the time she was on her own.  This was quite a task for a 15 year old girl but she was a good cook and faired real well.  Her mother was quite hesitant and worried about her girls going out in the wilderness with all of those men.  She asked her husband how on earth he could trust those men out there with those girls and he replied, "I don't trust those men, but I do trust my girls."  The road camp offered lots of experiences and some good times to go along with the hard work but she never made much money.  Most of their fun while living in town was with different gangs of kids having parties and riding horses.  Many times they would ride to neighboring towns for a dance or a party.
            After she married Bob Steele, they built a home on 8th South and 8th west in Orem.  They have lived there ever since.  She is now 71 years old.  She has 27 grandchildren, 8 have filled missions, 7 great-grandchildren.  Robert died 27 August, 1969 of leukemia.
           One time she went to Provo, Utah, for a visit with her oldest sister, Mae.  It was while she was here that she became acquainted with Robert Steele who lived on the Provo Bench and whom she later married.  They had many good times and fun parties during her stay.  She then returned to work on the road camps in New Mexico.  While she was here Bob came down to visit her and see if he could find work with her father.  He was hired to work and before long Mom and Dad decided to go to a near-by town and get married.  So on the 10th of February, 1927, in Tierra Amarilla, new Mexico, she was married.  For their honeymoon they went with her father, Dave Black, over to her home-town of  Blanding.  It took two weeks of hard travel to reach there.  The snow was so deep and their transportation was a wagon and two mules. Several times they were lost and uncertain of the raod.  They were often teased about their honeymoon.  After a time they moved to Orem to live and have resided here since.  Her first child, Robert Que, was born when she went to stay with Mae in Murray.  Then Murray Frost, or "Buv" as he was always called, came next.  GenaVee was the 1st girl and was born during a hard depression struggle. DaNec, nicknamed "Dutch" was born in 1934.  Mom was very sick after Dutch was born and was down for about six months.  She got infection which nearly cost her her life.  The Doctor said she would never be able to have any more children.  This was a real sad thing for Mom because she really loves children and had planned on having a large family, mostly boys.  She always talked a little more fondly of boys.  She tries not to make it too obvious but it always slips out when she would hear of someone having a baby girl she would say, "Oh, I hoped she would have a boy", etc.
           Nine years after Dutch was born she was very surprised and pleased to find out she was going to have a baby.  After awhile she began to feel uneasy and a little concerned about it all.  Things didn't seem to be right.  She felt that something was going to happen  It wasn't long until she learned that her 2nd son, Buv, was sick with an incurable disease, a glandular cancer of some type.  Her worries then shifted to him and she forgot her own condition and apprehensions.  In August of 1943, it was time for the baby's arrival.  Buv was very bad by now and she hated to leave but this was something that could not be postponed.  After two days of hard labor and troubles, the little baby girl was born.  It was a stillbirth, the feet had come first and she had apparently suffocated curing the long birth.  The baby was quite large and very beautiful.  She looked so nice and cute in a little pink dress and casket.  Aunt Dot had given Mom the dress and she could always put a diaper on so neat that Mom asked Aunt Dot to dress the baby for burial, a very hard task for Aunt Dot.  Mom was crippled by the pressure pinching a main nerve in her hips.  So it was a long while before she was able to get out of bed.  In two weeks after the baby died Buv also died.  He had been sick for three months.  All summer he gradually got worse and on September 1, 1943, he died in our home in Orem.  Everything had been done for him that possibly could have been, x-ray treatment, specialists, etc.  Mom could not be with him at the end nor could she got to the funeral.  They would take his casket and set it down by her bed so she could see him.  He had a nice funeral was buried in the cemetery at Provo, Utah.
           For about two years Mom was in bed or using crutches.  After she got up she would do her work and get around on her crutches.  There was a special hole in the side boards of the old truck where she always slid her crutches.  This was a familiar sight to see the truck going along with Mom's crutches leaning up in the back.
           One time she cut her hand badly and severed the tendons in three fingers, they never worked the same again and she can't straighten them out.  She does what work she can in the Church and is an influence for good to her children.  She taught them to do right and saw to it they attended their duties.  She taught Sunday School for many many years and many of the pupils still remember her and thank her for her help to them.  Anyone who ever comes to her place is fed a very good meal that she seems to prepare from nothing.  That old cellar of hers must have some secret chanber we don't know anything about because she can whip up a very delicious, quick meal for anyone who unexpectedly stops in.  A brown paper sack is always filled with something good, usually a nice loaf of homemade bread or such, and tucked away for the visitor to take home.  She always serves and does for others and has a testimony of the gospel  "In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these ye have done it unto me", applies very much to my mother, Geneva Black Steele, a fine woman and a wonderful mother." [3]

  • Reference  Bryan S. Larson. "Geneva Black". Our Family Histories. https://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/getperson.php?personID=I227912&tree=00 (accessed September 16, 2019).

  • Sources 
    1. [S2244] Theda Laws or Irene Louise Potter. Personal Genealogical Research, Compiled.

    2. [S1535] Personal knowledge of Clark Timmins, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE]\..

    3. [S2891] Personal knowledge of Marla Kirby, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE]\..

    4. [S2905] Family Records.

    5. [S30] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. International Genealogical Index(R). Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, downloaded 1 Apr 2009.

    6. [S2892] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [LDS].. "International Genealogical Index." Digital images.. \i FamilySearch\i0 . http://www.familysearch.org, (http://www.familysearch.org)..

    7. [S1543] Utah State History. "Cemetery and Burial Database," database, Utah State History - Burials Database . http://history.utah.gov/apps/burials/execute/searchburials, 2009, Block 9 Lot 19.

    8. [S2904] Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004.Original data - This unique collection of records, Source number: 246.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Cod.

    9. [S30] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. International Genealogical Index(R). Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, downloaded 9 Nov 2009.

  • Visitor


    No comments yet.

    Add Comment